Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Identity Crisis

I am having an identity crisis.

Here's the thing-  I am still not used to my new last name Devenney.  I love it, but I'm not used to it.  I mean, who wouldn't want to just LATCH on to this guy's last name??


I pee a little when I look at this.  This, this is what life is made of. THIS IS THE FATHER OF MY CHILDREN.  But anyway.. 

AS I WAS SAYING...

I was at the dry-cleaners just the other day and the lady asked for my last name.  I paused because I wasn't really sure what to say!  Do I say Killpack or do I say Devenney??  It's like I don't identify with either of them right now. What do I do??

I was sitting with my friend the other day and I asked her to text me something and I saw that she put in Emily D. and my first thought was Who is that??  

When my sister-in-law, Tory, and I go to the temple they ask for our last names and she says Killpack while I say Devenney and I get so confused because she is saying my last name and I am saying some other name I'd never heard of before I married into it!  Now if that just isn't the longest run-on sentence in the world... 

I keep asking Cory, "Now, HOW do you say our last name again?" I'm still not entirely sure. :)  When I look at the spelling of it I don't see it how it sounds and so it confuses me.  It's pronounced DaVinny/DaVenney.  Although, I still don't know because Corny won't give me a straight answer.  He thinks those two things are the same.  So imagine me walking around with a last name that I'm still not quite sure how to pronounce! I'm such a linguistic learner and the fact that it is not spelled the way that sounds messes with my head. 

This is a serious matter, I tell you.  I asked Corny how he would feel if he all-of-the-sudden was Cory Killpack.  It's a total adjustment! I laugh when I think of him taking my last name.  Corny Killpack kind of has a ring to it, wouldn't you say?? 

I think I'll just go last name-less like Brandy or Cher.  Life seems easier that way and it always keeps people guessing.  Such mystery! 

Point of the story is that I am somewhere in-between Killpack and Devenney.  Luckily, I get to keep both families.


I love my people. 


But, somebody please tell me it gets easier!!!!!

M

6 comments:

  1. Emily- I folded tissue paper from our wedding for the first month after I got married. I wasn't sure what a "wife" was supposed to be doing. Needless to say, we still have our plentiful supply of white tissue paper even 10 years later (it has been rather useful, though)! Good Luck! It seems like you picked a great guy so you can't be doing all that bad!
    --- "Miss Hayward"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about growing up as Heidi Roylance and have a dad names Darrell Roylunce? I feel your pain. I am, however, really taken with the name DaVinny and really taken with the boy too. Finding the guy was the hardest part:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that sister! Finding the guy was death hard and took death long, but it's all water under the bridge now. :) Cory probably won't get that statement.

      Delete
  3. I never know how to say it either! I like that you are just going to go by M from now on. So much easier! I lucked out by having the new last name of Killpatrick ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally crying Tory. Kilpatrick really is a steal, and SO Irish! I guess we are both Irish now. :)

      Delete