Friday, July 25, 2014

Idioms

You'll get a kick out of this. 

I just hope I don't get the cold shoulder for posting this.  Or put in the doghouse. 


My husband doesn't understand idioms. The cat is out of the bag.  Would you ever suspect it??

For instance:

When we were first dating I got a little bit scared.  I didn't have cold feet,  I just needed a little elbow room!  I really liked him a lot, but I didn't want to jump the gun!  I remember sitting with him in the hot tub at his parent's house and we started talking about serious things.  You know, kind of like a DTR (Define the relationship.  Something I always hated!)?  Anyway, I was trying to let him know as kindly as I could that I still wanted to have the freedom to date other people.  So I said, "I just want you to know that I am not ready to put all of my eggs in one basket."

Does everyone understand what that phrase means?? I thought it was a no-brainer!

I thought wrong.

Cory, being the sweetest guy that he is, didn't say anything, but he just politely nodded and I thought Wow! That was easy!

Little did I know, months down the road he would tell me he had NO IDEA what that meant and he had thought Oh! I guess we're exclusive!  Luckily, for the both of us, we never dated anyone else after that so it didn't matter.  But how adorable, right??

And it doesn't end there.

Since we've been married I've tried throwing little idioms in here and there.  For example, just a couple weeks ago I was pestering him about getting something done and I said, "You know, babe, the squeaky wheel gets the grease?!"  He looked at me like What the heck?  Then I had to explain.

In his defense, once I explain it he always gets it. 

When pigs fly my husband will understand idioms.

But I love him and our marriage is JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED! :)

And to top it off, I married my very own body guard.  Now THAT is just the icing on the cake. 



How I'll ever love him more is BEYOND me! It's a good thing he's smart in most other areas. :) 

I'm sure this post will be way over his head. 

M




No comments:

Post a Comment