Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Gratitude in ANY Circumstance

President Uchtdorf said: 

"Often grief is caused by what seems as an ending. Some are facing the end of a cherished relationship, such as the death of a loved one or estrangement from a family member. Others feel they are facing the end of hope—the hope of being married or bearing children or overcoming an illness. Others may be facing the end of their faith, as confusing and conflicting voices in the world tempt them to question, even abandon, what they once knew to be true."

"It might sound contrary to the wisdom of the world to suggest that one who is burdened with sorrow should give thanks to God. But those who set aside the bottle of bitterness and lift instead the goblet of gratitude can find a purifying drink of healing, peace, and understanding."

My husband, Cory, and I were listening to a conference talk by President Uchtdorf in last April's General Conference called "Grateful in Any Circumstance" and it was EXACTLY what I needed to hear.  It was actually a really cool experience how I was led to that talk.  I was going through conference talks and I kept coming back to that one.  It was late and I thought If I can just listen to one conference talk I will have done my part today.  So we listened to it.   Afterwards, I opened up my email and I had an email from my mom with a quote from this talk in it.  WHAT???  Heavenly Father knew that I needed to hear this.  

President Uchtdorf says, "True, it is important to frequently “count our blessings”—and anyone who has tried this knows there are many—but I don’t believe the Lord expects us to be less thankful in times of trial than in times of abundance and ease."  

So this post goes out to all my single friends. 

Here is a little background on me: 



Cory and I just got married about 4 months ago.  It honestly was the best day of my life, and one that I am so grateful for.  But was I grateful before that day came??  Was I waiting for the rainbow and not being grateful for the rain? 

Now those of you who are from Utah can attest to the fact that once a woman reaches about 23 and isn't married  SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG WITH HER.  Sigh. So dumb. That is not true, but I think I started to believe that there was, indeed, something wrong with me when by 25 I still wasn't married.  To some this might sound ridiculous, but it is true! 

My best friend got married when we were 19 and has since moved out of state and has three children.  Over the years I watched each of my friends get married and move on with their lives.  I can remember crying my eyes out after some of their weddings  (So much for makeup).  I was being left behind!  I had finished school and was working full time and I wanted marriage to be my next step, but I just couldn't seem to get there.  

This is not to say that I did not try.  After many relationships and a broken engagement, I was emotionally exhausted.  I had received many priesthood blessings from my dad.  Blessings that got me through some of the darkest times of my life and they are blessings that, even now, I cherish.  They made it sound like there was somebody I would meet, but I had a hard time believing that my time- a time for little OLD me- would ever roll around.  I won't lie, there were many times that I was plain ungrateful!  I would kneel down some nights and just give my Heavenly Father a little piece of my mind.  Life just wasn't fair.  This was a righteous desire!  What the heck??

Mind you, I had so much fun over those years being single!  I was able to do so many things that I wanted and I could just pick up and leave on random trips with friends.   I think I really did try to enjoy myself the best that I could.  And I did enjoy myself a lot!  But I swear in the back of my mind I was always sort of ungrateful for the fact that I wasn't married. I was waiting for my life to start.  How dumb!  If I could have just lived my life with more faith and gratitude I would have been so much better off!

So, to all of you who are struggling with the fact that you are still single, just relax.  Be grateful.  I know that it's so much easier said than done, but if I could change one thing, that is what it would be.  Heavenly Father has a plan for all of his children and he has designed it so that if we live worthily all things will work out for our good.  Trust Him.  Be light-hearted and enjoy yourself!  Your time will come, and with it will come a whole new set of challenges.  So be content.    And as Hebrews 13:5 states: 

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."  

Looking back, I wouldn't change a single thing and neither should you!  You are where you are for a purpose.  

Just be grateful. 

M

No comments:

Post a Comment