Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Last Straw


Everyone has heard the phrase "It was the straw that broke the camel's back."  Well, for me, that was the movie "Transformers" last night.  


I was as miserable as I look in this picture. Don't judge me. 

To start off, I just want to let you all know that I will be blogging about real life.  I don't want to portray my life as perfect because it is not.  Granted, I love my life and I wouldn't change it, but I want to post about the good AND the bad/embarrassing/real stuff.  This is one of those moments that I am not too proud of.  And I won't lie, it's still a sensitive subject (probably will be for a LOOOOOONG time) and it's possibly too soon to talk about it.  

Transformers.  Need I say more? 

Anyone who knows me knows that I do not enjoy science fiction.  I can handle the Harry Potters and certain other ones (on a really good day), but I might strangle anyone who tries to make me watch "Lord of the Rings" and "Transformers."  That being said, I almost strangled someone last night.  Figuratively speaking, of course.   

Yesterday was one of our friend's birthdays and he wanted to go and see a 10:30 pm showing of the new Transformers movie.  So, being the supportive wife and friend that I am,  I went.  Biggest mistake ever.  Cory was being so sweet (and guy-Friday-ish) and he knew that I didn't want to see that movie, but suggested that we be supportive of Chase on his birthday and go anyway, even though we had heard that it got terrible reviews.  So we went.  And PS, I HATE late night showings.  I am that loser that falls asleep every time. Like clockwork.  

Now let's rewind for a second. 

Cory and I had a wonderful 4th of July weekend.  We went to the Columbus Zoo and it made me think of one of my favorite movies "We Bought a Zoo."  I bawl my eyes out. Every.  Single.  Time.  I love it!  Cory had never seen it so after we went to the zoo we came home and watched it. Cory cried too (which isn't saying much). Anyway, there is a quote from that movie that I absolutely LOVE and this is what it says:

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage.  Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery.  And I promise you, something great will come out of it."

I think this quote is something to live by, and it really rings true to me.  So I put it to the test. And I think it saved our marriage.  

At 12:30 am, as we were sitting in the movie I hit my wit's end.  I had tried falling asleep several times and I kept waking up because I had the most restless legs and my ears were itching SO bad they were almost bleeding.  I was trying to think happy thoughts, but all I could think was that it had been a couple hours and it must be ending soon. 

Boy, was I sorely mistaken.  

I decided to look up how long it was and it was 165 minutes.  165 MINUTES OF PURE DEATH!!?  Nope. Not gonna happen.  Not tonight.  

I was done.  

So I turned to Cory and told him how long it was and that I couldn't do it.   He agreed that I should go home, but I felt so dumb getting up and leaving when we were with 5 of our friends.  I did not want to be THAT girl.  But then my brother turned to me and said how bad he hated it and that gave me the 20 seconds of insane courage that I needed to get up and walk out alone.  

Was I scared to walk out into that parking lot in the middle of the night by myself? Yes. Did that stop me?  Nope.  I walked out with my head held high (and I called my mom almost in tears!).  

Point of the story is that we can do hard things.  Even if it is walking out of a movie to save yourself from an aortic rupture and a broken marriage. 

Here is what you should take from this: 


NEVER SEE "TRANSFORMERS" and WATCH "WE BOUGHT A ZOO." 

Don't let a dumb (and terrible and awful and all bad words) movie be your last straw.  

Oh, and if you do have to endure something so awful, maybe do it with more class and sophistication than I did.  And don't cry afterwards and threaten to strangle the director.  Just saying...

M

2 comments:

  1. Em, love the blog. You are hilarious and an awesome writer. No joke, we are driving out of Utah today and my kids watched we bought a zoo twice. Its our fav. My favorite and saddest part is when Rosie says their happy is too loud. Miss you. Love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog Em! You are adorable! My kids all saw a late showing of Transformers in Cali and I'm pretty sure they could all relate to you!

    ReplyDelete